What could I possibly have to say...


....that hasn't been said before? Well, I'm planning on palavering about drawing, about how much fun it can be, how frustrating it can be, what I do for research, illustrators whom I idolize, and so on ...

One thing I love doing is checking out the works of other illustrators, and I spend a lot of time poring over kids' books that appeal to me. I keep a list in my Palm Pilot, called "Illustrators and Titles I like," and refer to it (and the books) when work is slow. Here're a few that I especially adore (in they're in alphabetical order, too)...

Sergio Aragones (yes, of Mad Magazine), Edward Ardizzone (Tim series), Quentin Blake (esp. the Mrs Armitage series), Jean Claverie (Perfume of Memory, Little Lou), Janine Dawson (Parlez-moi!), Barbara Firth (Can't You Sleep Little Bear?), Sally Gardner (The glass heart; Tale of three princesses), Quentin Greban (Mommy I Love You, Dearest Little Mouse in the World, Un Cadeau pour Lea), Arther Howard (Mr Putter and Tabby series), Ann James (Dog in, Cat out), Simon James (Leon and Bob, Wildwood), Jill Barton (What Baby wants, Baby Duck series, Rattletrap Car), Kady MacDonald Denton, Helen Oxenbury, Jean Jacques Sempe (Le Petit Nicolas), Charlotte Voake, and last centuries' (okay, millenium's) Jessie Willcox Smith.

Whew. What do these illustrators have in common, you ask? Pure, clean lines, a proclivity** to abstractness, and obvious fearlessness when it comes to the blank page.

More later... ciao!


** I'm really hoping I spelled this right...

Comments

Popular Posts