Sketch-Your-Pet at Monkeyshines Book Store

Another great day with a group of happy kids last weekend at one of Calgary's great independent bookstores -- Monkeyshines is the city's only kids-only bookstore.

Owner Sue Hill and I came up with the idea of holding a sketch-your-pet workshop (I do have some experience in the pet sketching department).

The poster advertising the event (see image at right) asked kids to bring in pictures of their favourite pets, which most did.

I was also ready with pictures of my own that kids could choose from -- I had at-hand a picture of bull dog, a beagle or two, a couple of cats, a ferret, a hamster, and a gerbil (sorry, no reptiles).

One girl had a picture of her pet hedgehog named Humphrey. I learned that Humphrey could only be handled with gloves on, and would only agree to being handled at nighttime. I didn't realize hedgehogs were so fussy -- they don't look it.

There were also horses, cats, dogs, and guinea pigs. Thankfully, no reptiles.

The workshop ran from 1 to 3 pm on a drop-in basis, and most of artists arrived right at 1 pm. I had drawing boards, cartridge paper, pencils and pencil crayons, and erasers. The bookstore has pillows, stools and a couple of chairs, and kids made themselves comfortable throughout the store. Overall, about 40 - 50 artists attended and some parents got into the act, too.

Sue brought out cookies and the day was made even better.

Thanks to everyone who turned out, and to everyone at Monkeyshines Books!

Val

Comments

Popular Posts